Monday, January 23, 2012

Just 200 calories makes all the difference

I remember being told last year when I started New Directions that the program was designed to be 800-900 calories per day. Coming from a person who was probably eating 2500-3000 calories per day (just a guess), I thought I was going to die going down to that number. Okay, so not literally, but you get the picture. I was told that by reducing calories to 800-900 per day and carbohydrates to 40-50g per day (a ketogenic diet), I could expect to lose an average of 3-5 pounds per week. (Again, people, don't you dare try this without being under medical supervision--it's dangerous without being medically supervised.) I was also told that even 200 calories over the 800-900 per day could significantly reduce that weight loss rate.

Bless my lucky stars. That's not all that 200 calorie deficit does. My first goal for the week was to drop from the 1000 calories I've been eating daily down to the 800-900 the program calls for. And holy hell, I am STARVING today. I'm sure this is normal and everything will calm down after a few days, but yeah. Those 200 calories made all the difference. I'm not craving anything in particular right now, but I definitely have that uncomfortable "empty" feeling in my belly. I just keep telling myself that it's all worth it in the end. I'm strong. I can do this. I weigh in tomorrow. Lower numbers on that scale are worth all the sacrifice.

I feel like I'm in a reality TV show called "Extreme Dieting." This stuff is hard core.

No comments:

Post a Comment